From Al Jazeera:
The Houthi have accused the Saudi-led coalition of destroying the Sana’a International Airport after they targeted it with two airstrikes on Tuesday. Officials say the airport is now unusable.
“This attack is intended to cause maximum damage and deprive millions of Yemenis from receiving life-saving food and medicines,” Mohammed, a Houthi official who declined to give his surname, said.
The Saudi-led coalition forced the closure of Sanaa airport in August 2016 to all but a few UN aid flights.
The Houthi-run General Authority for Civil Aviation said in a statement the air strike “led to the total destruction of the VOR/DME radio navigation system, taking it offline and thus halting the only flights at Sanaa airport – those of the UN and other international organisations delivering humanitarian assistance”.
“The authority emphasises that attack is an explicit violation of international covenants and treaties, which stipulate that civilian airports are not targeted,” it added.
More on the blockade from TRT World:
Some airports and border crossings have now reopened in Yemen after a week long blockade by the Saudi-led coalition. The closure crippled the flow of aid into the country and left many Yemenis without the food or medicine they need. Abubakr Al Shamahi has this report.
Last week, the Saudi-led coalition closed all land borders and ports for a number of days. The coalition’s decision to close the borders has left people feeling trapped. The Saudi-led coalition has now reopened borders, but only in areas controlled by forces allied to the government. It says this is necessary to prevent Iran’s weapons from reaching Houthi rebels. But especially in rebel-held areas, including the capital Sana’a, it also stops aid from reaching civilians.